(SANTA CLARITA, CA) – Representative Steve Knight (CA-25) sent a letter on Wednesday to the Department of Interior imploring the agency to move forward on a decision regarding Cemex’s mining contracts in Soledad Canyon.
Over the past two years Rep. Knight worked with the City of Santa Clarita and other stakeholders to block the mining project. Last summer the Bureau of Land Management canceled the contracts, but the issue is currently in a potentially lengthy appeal process. Knight’s letter will apply needed pressure to ensure that a determination is made as quickly as possible and that the community remains informed for the remainder of the process.
“The City of Santa Clarita thanks Congressman Steve Knight for his ongoing commitment to securing an early decision from the Interior Board of Land Appeals,” said Santa Clarita Mayor Bob Kellar. “We appreciate his work to bring this issue, which spans over a quarter of a century, to conclusion.”
The letter also states Knight’s intention to introduce legislation that would ensure similar mining projects cannot threaten Santa Clarita in the future. Earlier this year he introduced the Soledad Canyon Consistency Act, which would withdraw the mineral rights for land in the eastern portion of the Santa Clarita Valley- meaning that companies would be prevented from mining.
“The community has fought long and hard to prevent Cemex from breaking ground in Santa Clarita and we’ve made incredible progress toward that goal,” said Knight. “I will continue to work with local, state, and federal officials to ensure this issue reaches an expedient and satisfactory conclusion.”
A copy of Knight's letter can be found here.