As you probably know, a massive fire began on July 22 near Sand Canyon in the Santa Clarita Valley and spread to the surrounding areas over the weekend. Due to the fire’s size and potential to spread, we want to give you a quick update on its status and some helpful tips to keep your family and home safe.
As of 9AM this morning, the fire burned more than 33,177 acres and is at 10% containment. The fire fight is being supported by a Unified Command with US Forest Service Angeles National Forest, LA County Fire Department, and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. They’re using 341 engines, 42 crews, 26 helicopters, in conjunction with 3000+ firefighters from all over the state. The fire conditions are dynamic and dangerous. More than 10,000 homes have been evacuated, affecting over 20,000 residents.
We would like to give a huge thank you to the many firefighters and support staff for their tireless efforts to protect our communities and contain the fire’s spread. We are currently not expecting any more evacuations, but with the fire being pushed in all directions by the winds, they’re asking those in advisory evacuation areas to be ready. If you see the smoke and fires heading in your direction, get out. Do NOT wait for LASD to knock on your door.
At tomorrow’s Board of Supervisor’s meeting, Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, will be requesting a State of Emergency for the county and asking the Governor to declare a State of Emergency, which will help get more resources.
The Fire Officials and Sheriff’s Department would like us to remind you of a few things:
- If you are asked to evacuate, get your loved ones and your animals and leave PROMPTLY! Do not argue with the Sheriff’s Deputies.
- Do NOT try to get back into areas that have been evacuated or get into roads that have been closed.
- Do NOT fly drones or anything similar near the fire fight areas! IF YOU FLY, THEY CAN’T!
- Do NOT pull your vehicles to the sides of roads and get out to look at the fire or take pictures. You are impeding traffic and can cause resources to be used when they really should be elsewhere.
- Hart High School - 24825 Newhall Ave, Santa Clarita (People, Small Animals, Pets)
- Highland High School - 39055 25th St W, Palmdale (People, Small Animals, Pets)
- Lakeview Terrace Recreation Center - 11075 Foothill Blvd, Lake View Terrace (People, Small Animals, Pets)
- AV Fairgrounds - 2551 W. Avenue H, Lancaster (Large Animals)